- 4 large baking potatoes, like russets
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Scrub potatoes under running water; dry them, and rub the skin of each with the oil and a little salt. Pierce the skin of each in three or four places with the tines of a fork.
- Place the potatoes in the oven, and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the potatoes, until they offer no resistance when a knife is inserted in their centers.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, slice them open down the middle, apply a tablespoon of butter to each one and serve immediately.