- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 (6-ounce) can minced clams, drained, with half the juice reserved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- kosher sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 lbs littleneck (or manila) clams, rinsed and scrubbed
- 3 large zucchini, spiralized
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lemons, quartered
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is simmering, add the garlic and shallots. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the shallots are translucent. Add the red pepper flakes, reserved clam juice, and wine, and season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the sauce is reduced by about half.
- Add the fresh clams to the sauce and cover. Steam for 7 to 10 minutes. Discard any clams that don’t open after 10 minutes, then add the chopped clams. Stir in the zucchini noodles and 1 tablespoon of the parsley. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the zucchini noodles are al dente.
- Divide the pasta among bowls and garnish with the remaining parsley and lemon wedges.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
- Store fresh clams in a bowl, covered with a damp paper towel, set within a bowl of ice in the refrigerator. Avoid submerging fresh clams in ice or water. Fresh clams are best cooked within 24 hours.
- Scrub and rinse several times before using to remove any grit or sand.