Braised Chicken With Lemon and Olives2015-03-07
- Servings : 4 to 6
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 1:45 h
- Ready In : 0m
- 8 chicken thighs, skin-on and bone-in, about 3 1/2 pounds
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Meyer lemons, cut in wedges
- 1 cup flavorful olives with pits, a mixture of black and green, about 1 pound
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels. Season well with salt and pepper and place in an earthenware baking dish in one layer, skin side up. Sprinkle with red pepper, garlic, fennel and rosemary and drizzle with olive oil. Rub seasoning into thighs on all sides. Tuck lemon wedges here and there. Let marinate for 15 minutes. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put baking dish in oven, uncovered, and roast until skin browns lightly, about 20 minutes each side (total 40 min). Scatter olives evenly over chicken and add broth. Cover tightly and bake for an additional 20 minutes, until meat is very tender when probed with a skewer.
- Remove thighs and lemon wedges and arrange on a platter. Keep warm. Pour pan juices into a saucepan and quickly skim fat from surface. Over high heat, simmer rapidly until reduced by half. Spoon juices over chicken, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Perfect math with white rice and caponata