The Best Brussels Sprouts
- 6 slices bacon, cut across into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 1/2 pounds (8 cups) brussels sprouts, halved, cored and each half cut into quarters
- 4 scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and cut into very small dice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- granted lemon rind
- 1. Place the scallions and the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat and cook until the fat is rendered. Add the pine nuts and cook until the bacon is crisp and the nuts are golden, about 1 minute.
- 2. Add the brussels sprouts and the garlic, cover the pan and cook, shaking the pan, until the brussels sprouts are wilted but still bright green and crisp, about 1 minute. Add the carrots and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the salt, pepper, chopped parsley and the granted lemon rind. Serve warm.